[Sca-cooks] Garb Wars, Bright Hills Cooks Guild cooking

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 27 08:26:27 PDT 2002

Hey all.  Just wanted to post off the announcement to Garb Wars ne+t month.
Hope some of you can make it down or up for the event.  Our cooks guild is
doing the feast and it will be a dandy.  Misha, if you can make this date,
let me know ASAP so we can get you a bus ticket.

Garb Wars
May 10th - 12th, 2002
Barony of Bright Hills

Sharpen your shears and needles, it's time again to see which team can
produce the spiffiest garb in a 24-hour period on-site. Garb contest rules
are the same as last year. The contest runs from 6pm Friday until 6pm
Saturday. Teams will consist of no more than 6 gentles. The garb must be
worn to the feast, where the judging will take place and winners announced.

The sewing-challenged will also find plenty to do. The event will open with
a March of Precedence. Nobles are invited to bring their banners and a
herald to proclaim their lineage, prowess and honors. (Heralds will be
available for hire onsite. The fees will enrich the barony's heraldic
library fund. Please bring a tabard in your livery colors for the herald to
wear while representing you. ) The day's fighting will include a crested
helm melee should enough fighters bring appropriately decorated helms.
Rapier combat, archery and thrown weapons contests are also being planned.
More information will be provided in the May announcement.

"What separates us from the beasts is our ability to accessorize" -- if
someone hasn't said it they should have! Accessorize! Accessorize! Is the
theme of an additional A&S competition. Armor, including crested helms, may
be entered in this contest. A&S classes are planned and dancing and a bardic
activity will follow the feast. Questions about the garb and accessory
competitions and classes should be directed to Mistress Margherita
Tessatrice (Deborah Murphy). Her email address is weaver8002 at aol.com and her
telephone number is (301) 916-0092.

Children's activities: Young gentles will learn about heraldry by creating
new (temporary) names and armory, which will be announced witth a grand
entry during the feast.

Site: Rocks 4-H Camp, 8 Cherry Hill Road, Street, MD 21154. Troll will open
at 5pm on Friday, May 10 and close at 3 p.m. on Sunday, May 12, at which
time the dorms and feast hall must be cleared. The site is discreetly wet --
please leave all original containers at home or take them away with you when
you leave.

Cost: Onboard adults $15, youths 5 - 12 $8; offboard adults $8 and youths
$4. Children under five will be our guests.

Food: Traveler's fare will be available Friday evening for a modest fee, as
will breakfast on Saturday and Sunday. Saturday lunch is included in site
fee. The feast is limited to 108 gentles. and offboard seating will be
provided in a separate pavilion. Lord Seamus O'Loughlin (James Debes) is the
head cook, supported by the renowned Bright Hills Cooks Guild. Those with
special dietary concerns may contact Lord Seamus by telephone at( 410)
766-3412 between 4 and 9pm or via email at Jdebes at Lucent.com.

Reservations: Mail reservations to the autocrat.

Merchants: are welcome. To arrange to donate a prize in lieu of your site
fee (please do!), contact the autocrat in advance.

Autocrat: Lord Denis de Dijon (Charlie Jones), 5009 Somerset Dr., Riverdale,
MD 20737., (301) 277-9746, charles_jones at cap-police.senate.gov.

Directions:

Take your best route to I-95 north of Baltimore. Take exit 77, MD Route 24
West (towards Bel Air). Continue on Route 24 about six to seven miles to
where Route 24 West and Route 1 North merge together. Stay with Route 24 (do
NOT take the Route 924 exit) and take the ramp off Route 1/Route 24 to Route
24 West to Rocks / Forest Hill. Continue on Route 24 West. Once past the
shopping centers here the road narrows to two lanes and has minimal
shoulders (drive carefully). Continue on Route 24 West for about seven more
miles to Cherry Hill Road (just after you pass the sign for Rocks State
Park). Turn right on Cherry Hill Road, go over the one-lane bridge and turn
left into the first driveway. This is Rocks 4-H Camps. Follow the signs to
troll.