[Sca-cooks] gyros

Harris Mark.S-rsve60 Mark.s.Harris at motorola.com
Mon Apr 29 17:12:58 PDT 2002

Adamantius said:
--------
Also sprach Avraham haRofeh:
>My standard local grocery store sells a "pocketless pita" which is a good
>approximation. You can (at least in America) get "beef gyros".

Are these in fact gyros, which would be the equivalent of shwarma or
even the more common lamb meatloaf stuff cooked on a vertical
rotisserie, or are you talking about souvlaki? I ask because some
people consider them interchangable. I've never seen or heard of beef
gyros (unless you count those odd little frozen flat sausage-y things
you can sometimes get in diners and coffee shops, and sold as gyros),
but I've seen souvlaki made with chicken, pork, veal, lamb, and beef.
--------

I believe the outfits at Pennsic and Gulf Wars that sell Gyros
offer them with either beef or lamb. Possibly this is not
traditional and they use "Gyro" because that is what is most
familar to their customers or potential customers. I've
heard of souvlaki also, though. So, what is the difference
between a souvlaki and a gyro? Just the type of meat?

And what is this shwarma or lamb meatloaf? I don't think I've
ever seen this. As I mentioned I did see ground lamb for $3.89/lb.
But at that price maybe getting the lamb steak and slicing and
grilling it would be better.

----------
If you can find the genuine boneless
lamb-breast-stacked-alternately-with-slices-of-fat-on-the-skewer-gyro,
the kind that's reelly reelly bad for you, that is some very serious
food. I have a recipe for that someplace, which can allegedly be
cooked on a charcoal grill for those that don't have a proper gyro
machine. Which is most people...
----------

Uh oh. This idea of making my own gyros is getting more
and more complicated...

I was just going to fry the meat strips in a skillet.

I will be getting a new, still in the box, smoker/grill from
my mother though in the next few weeks. So maybe this might
be a dish to make with it.

So, what is a "proper gyro machine"? Is this something
sold on the infomercials on Saturday night or Sunday morning?

Hey, maybe I've finally found a good use for that silly
[non-vertical] rotisserie my lady wife bought!

I thought most rotisseries were horizontal (non-vertical)?
Such as those shown in the medieval illustrations. Why
would you want one to be vertical? Other than taking up
less counter space.

Stefan