[Sca-cooks] Chickens, tractors and eggs

Cathy Harding charding at nwlink.com
Mon Apr 1 09:04:44 PST 2002

Actually it is a moveable chicken coop/habitat, that lets the chickens
scratch and peck for bugs, but keeps them somewhat contained so that the
stray dogs, raccoons, coyotes, etc. don't bother them too much.  I'll post
some pictures (my nephew is very intrigued by this idea) on the website
along with the great egg experiments....
So here are some links to Dorkings and chicken tractors....
http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/poultry/chickens/dorking/silgray.htm They look
just like the Flemish market painting chickens.
http://hv.greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=008Afo Ours
doesn't look like this, but you get the general idea.
http://www.gsu.edu/~biojdsx/fowl/tractor.htm ours is more like this one.

We have a friend who keeps rare and usually ancient poultry breeds (like the
Dorkings), ducks, geese chickens, quail, guinea fowl....  We get our eggs
from her (now that the girls are laying tho' we will have fresh eggs for a
while).
We did a little experiment with all these eggs the other night at the
baronial cooking night.  Period recipes sometimes call for the eggs of hens
or chickens, sometimes the type of egg isn't specified.  So the question
was, what are the egg equivalents of goose, duck, etc.  How many quail eggs
equal a chicken egg? (Answer: 6.5)  How much of the egg is yolk vs white?
"Farmer" Maeve
(going out to see if there are eggs this morning)
> > Other news, we just got a chicken tractor full of Silver Dorkings
(very old
> > breed) for the front yard.  Anyone else on the list keep chickens?
>
> Uh, what's a "chicken tractor"?

I assume, from the context, she means "a tractor pulling a wagon full of
chickens".

Avraham