[Sca-cooks] Re: [Sca-cooks]Dessert Competition documentation

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Apr 2 04:57:01 PST 2002

Also sprach Mary Denise Smith:

>I didn't see the documentation paragraph in the light that you did, in
>spite of numerous re-readings. This proves once again that one should
>never proof read their own work . . .

Possibly, possibly... I just wasn't sure if you were assuming period
content and requiring documentation for same, or requiring
documentation as a way of... I dunno... shaming (probably not the
right word but it sort of does the job) people into period research,
or if you really wanted to look at the brownie recipe in The Joy of
Cooking. Which, BTW, is a wonderful recipe.

>The purpose of this competition is to 1) challenge the Outlands populous
>to do some wonderful, funny and outrageous desserts and 2) BTW, discover
>that a requirement for documentation is not a requirement for a
>masters thesis.

Good goals, as they stand, and interesting in the larger framework I
have to look at as a kingdom A&S officer. The East is one of the last
kingdoms (or so I gather) to avoid having a kingdom-wide standard for
documentation and kingdom-wide A&S competition rules. I suspect since
many other kingdoms are simultaneously larger and with fewer people
(it was once estimated that our local barony probably had the active
populace of some kingdoms), it is a bigger deal for people to get
together to have fun in an A&S venue, and it tends to be more
formalized. While we don't have any established standards for rules
or documentation, I've always encouraged _good_ documentation, and
tried to teach people what that is, in its various forms, so I'm
always curious about how this is done in other kingdoms.

>No doubt someone will make something chocolate, or some other heresy. I
>will be happy, thrilled even, that that someone has gone to the effort
>to make something and haul it to Coronation. I will be even happier that
>the serious cooks make something stupendous, sumptuous, stunning and
>completely within SCA period parameters.

Shouldn't that read, "something stupendous, sumptuous, stunning,
sybaritic and simultaneously SCAdian in its pursuit of period
parameters"?

Sounds like fun, though!

Adamantius