[Sca-cooks] Peers, Pressuring the BoD

Dan Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Tue Apr 2 17:29:36 PST 2002

Was written:

 This January, I realized at the end of an event which
> we bill as handicapped accessible that there is not a single handicapped
> accessible toilet on site. I was really, really embarrassed.
>
> However, the site is the only one we've found that we can hold a
> reasonable indoor tourney in (it's affordable and we don't have to put
> down mats). We could rent a handicapped port-a-potty and put it outside,
> but that would be very, very cold, not to mention we'd have to watch it
> like hawks (it'd have to be down by the page fighting area, and we already
> have problems at our summer events with things happening in the
> portapotties.)

What, ...in the cold?

>It would also raise the cost of the event by about 75 cents
> to $1 per person, and we've never had a person in a wheelchair try to
> attend the event.
>
> So, what are our options? Should we
> a) not use the site anymore and quit having indoor tourney events in
> January?
> b) rent the port-a-potty?
> c) ask people to contact us and rent the port-a-potty if we need it?

Regards a) why not ask the site to provide wheel chair accessible rest room
facilites?  If enough people ask at enough sites, ...  Perhaps with a gentle
nudge they might do the right thing, stranger things have happened.

Regards b) it is my understnding that oversized port-a-potties have become
quite popular with those ladies who wear full Elizabethan.

Regards c) good default.  I suggest putting it in the flyer,  handicapped
crapper will be made available if requested.

> There's a church within a block that might have an accessible restroom.
> Would contacting them and getting access be sufficient?

Might not be sufficient but it's at least a good faith effort.

>What if we did
> both?

That would seem to cover the situation a bit better, the choice between a
handy if fridged out house or a warm place to "sit" that's a bit to travel
to get to.

Daniel Raoul