[Sca-cooks] OOP, OT _The Moon is a Harsh Mistress_

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Apr 3 08:16:54 PST 2002

Also sprach CorwynWdwd at aol.com:
>In a message dated 4/1/2002 7:48:05 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>Seton1355 at aol.com writes:
>
>>  _The Moon is a Harsh Mistress_
>
>The first Heinlein book I read in my young life. I was in the third or fourth
>grade. This was back in the day when people didn't pay as much attention to
>what's in School Libraries as they do now. I'm afraid it started a lifelong
>addiction and forever warped my character.
>
>Ah, would that we could still be so subversive in print....

Well, maybe we can't be, via the school libraries, but you'd be
surprised what you can do at home to prepare your own children (if
any) for their very own warped characters.

My own Evil Spawn (tm) is a little older (ten) and he's discovered an
awful lot of interesting old books on Mom's and Dad's shelves. He
started in on Heinlein with "Have Space Suit, Will Travel", (okay,
not Heinlein's most radical but a good intro for kids), loved it, and
was going to proceed, but got sidetracked and is now busy devouring
Wellman's entire Silver John, a.k.a. John the Balladeer, mythos. I've
actually had to look for two of them that I did not own, which were
also out of print, and ended finally finding them at acceptable
prices on the ebay/half.com site. Including, for the sake of
completeness, the truly dreadful 1973 movie based on "Who Fears The
Devil?" We're talking real MST3K stuff here, but it's almost hypnotic
in its ability to draw in fans of the stories, with little flashes of
gold (or silver?) among the dreck.

He's also become quite fond of Diane Duane's Wizard books (written
for teenagers, I suspect, but I actually prefer them to, say, the
Harry Potter books), and a sprinkling of Spider Robinson's short
stories.

There's actually a nice scene in "Have Space Suit, Will Travel", in
which the narrator's father looks at the pablum curriculum at his
son's school, and loads him down with books to provide him with a
proper edumakashun. This is kind of what's happening here.

Adamantius