[Sca-cooks] OOP, OT _The Moon is a Harsh Mistress_

Siegfried Heydrich baronsig at peganet.com
Wed Apr 3 08:41:36 PST 2002

    If you want to get kids hooked on <good> historical fiction, try Talbot
Mundy (his Tros of Samothrace series is wonderful) or Robert E. Howard (his
historical and fantasy titles). Both were glorious writers, and their
stories are straightforward and well constructed. There's no 'goody' gloss -
evil is evil, good is sometimes evil, and God has a delicious sense of
irony. Kids just eat it up. I've read some of Howard's stories to kids at
reading fairs, and they lock 'em in tighter than Barney EVER could.
    They didn't call it the Golden Age of Pulp for nuttin' . . .

    Sieggy