[Sca-cooks] cutting corn

A F Murphy afmmurphy at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 3 11:05:07 PST 2002

I basically agree with Adamantius here - except that my experience is
that frozen corn is soggy and tough... Canned corn is a much better
vegetable, IMHO, as long as one fully understands that it is an entirely
different vegetable than fresh corn. But truly fresh corn (as opposed to
the stuff some fool husked and wrapped in plastic to sit around a store
for a few days, which is no longer worthy of the name) is something I
can only get in limited supply in a limited season. I won't see it for
another couple of months. I mostly eat it on the cob, to savor it! Or
cut off and barely cooked with fresh tomatoes and fresh basil... I don't
waste it in anything where something else will be the dominant flavor.

Now, most other vegetables are best frozen. I have no idea why corn is
an exception. The only canned vegetables I use are corn, tomatoes
(again, a worthy vegetable unrelated to fresh) and beets, which are one
of the only vegetables that I think can't be overcooked. However, I
wouldn't put a canned pea on my table for anything!

Anne