[Sca-cooks] torta of melons

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 4 09:59:13 PST 2002

>Desta manera se puede hazer de los duraznos y
>serve warm. This manner of making one may use for peaches and
>aluaricoques, y ciruelas mal maduras.
>[?, I surmise a fruit] and badly ripened plums.

Perhaps unripe plums?  A Google search does not turn up the word "aluaricoques"
in any document except the Flori-Thingie, of course!  I would guess
"Aluariquoques" to be APRICOTS, according to Websters Revised Unabridged
Dictionary 1913. <http://www.bootlegbooks.com/Reference/Webster/data/75.html>

Apricot
(A"pri*cot), n. [OE. apricock, abricot, F. abricot, fr. Sp. albaricoque or Pg.
albricoque, fr. Ar. albirquq, al-burquq. Though the E. and F. form abricot is
derived from the Arabic through the Spanish, yet the Arabic word itself was
formed from the Gr. praiko`kia, pl. (Diosc. c. 100) fr. L. praecoquus, praecox,
early ripe. The older E. form apricock was prob. taken direct from Pg. See
Precocious, Cook.] (Bot.) A fruit allied to the plum, of an orange color, oval
shape, and delicious taste; also, the tree (Prunus Armeniaca of Linnæus) which
bears this fruit. By cultivation it has been introduced throughout the
temperate zone.

Yours in Service,
Selene, Caid