[Sca-cooks] Birthdays (was Seder, was...)

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Apr 4 23:34:46 PST 2002

Phlip said:
> What day? I celebrate my birthday at Pennsic- we
> usually do Medieval lamb and duck (my two favorite
> meats- recipes vary from year to year as we
> experiment).

Hmmm. I remember duck several years in a row. Yum! And duck
enchilladas the next day, with what little duck was left over.
Yum, again. I don't remember that much lamb. Except the year
you head your slaughtering class. Then, lots of lamb. :-)

I do remember you doing a crown roast of lamb, the year before
I started camping with SPCA. Never seen that done before. Maybe
we ought to do that again.

More of a meat guy than a Middle Eastern stuff guy. :-)

> > Getting back more or less on topic, does anyone here
> > know whether and
> > how medieval people celebrated birthdays?
>
> As I understand it, they celebrated the nearest Saints
> birthday as their name day, rather than the birthday
> itself....

I believe this is what I've read/heard also. But that still
leaves open whether there were any widespread traditions in
how it was celebrated.

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net