[Sca-cooks] Peers, Pressuring the BoD

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Fri Apr 5 16:27:48 PST 2002

In a message dated 4/4/2002 11:28:00 PM Eastern Standard Time,
kattratt at charter.net writes:

> Correct me if I am wrong,
> but you did say a PA NATIONAL Guard Armory... so that would mean that
> that building is owned by either the federal government or the state
> government. I am not sure about the laws up in Pennsylvania but down
> here both Federal and State buildings are required to have handicap
> accessible restrooms (Meaning wheelchair), and be smoke free.

If they ever renovate they'll have to make it accessible, but with a building
that was in existance before the accessibility laws were passed, they do not
have to correct it unless they are making substantial renovations.  Heck, our
local train station (state-run, I believe), only became really accessible a
year or two ago when they did major renovations.  Before that the only
elevator was a freight elevator that was not really supposed to be used for
people.  Heck, I have one of the middle schools I work in where the students
have to use the freight elevator.  That building is scheduled for renovation
in the next year or so and I know there are a number of things they will
probably be updating.  Even then they don't really have to, because each
district is only required to have one accessible school building at each
level of schooling (ie one elementary, one middle, etc) and the other middle
school is newer and very accessible.

Barb, the school-based physical therapist - Brangwayna has no clue what I'm
talking about.