[Sca-cooks] OT: We're in the honey!

Liam Fisher lordofmisrule at mindspring.com
Sat Apr 6 01:41:27 PST 2002

*waves his hand and does the Jedi mind trick*

That is not the yeast you are looking for.  Try an ale yeast
before using a bread yeast.  That's more up the alley.
Modern bread yeasts are designed to work on a lower sugar diet and will have
some unpredictable results.

If you have some foam (barm) from a working brewing project, a cup or two
would do the trick as well.  Very period too.  And as Digby said "white and
clean barm."
Don't be like Mr Webbes and add mustard :-)

 You're not going to get too close to a medieval yeast strains unless you
want to rely on native yeast populations to ferment your mead.  It'll
ferment, and you can get some rather interesting results.  Digby details
some methods of native yeast fermentation as well.

Cadoc MacDairi
Mountain Confederation
Shire of Blak Rose
East Kingdom