[Sca-cooks] Gooses, stuffing, endoring, ovens

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Sun Apr 7 15:58:06 PDT 2002

At 04:42 PM 4/7/02 -0400, you wrote:
>But would it have looked more like "gold"
>then if one served it under poorer lighting
>conditions. Given quite possibly poor eyesight,
>it might have seemed  "golden". This was an age
>afterall when roses were mystic...

I didn't think roses were at question here- certainly I don't think of them
as mystic. Used as a literary motif maybe, but my mentor Christine is much
more down to earth than that... ;-)

I don't think poorer lighting conditions are the case. Endoring food is
some thing likely to be done for a nice feast, and feasts were generally
held in the daytime. Perhaps the 'Or' part of endoring has more to do with
the heraldic tincture than actual gold.

'Lainie