[Sca-cooks] Gooses, stuffing, endoring, ovens

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Apr 7 16:03:59 PDT 2002

Anne asked:
> So, OK, it is my turn to ask a "Stefan Question".  ;-)   What is
> "endoring?" From the context, I take it to be gilding in some manner not
> using gold leaf?  (Let's see, endearing, enduring, daring, dire... no,
> none of them seem to fit the context...)
>
> OK, yes, I'll go read the article, but sometimes it is nice to know what
> one is reading about.

Yes, see this is all part of Stefan's secret plan to get you to go
read the article....

Apparently "endoring" "is basically painting something onto the bird"
and "several recipes which  referred to endoring or doring
but they were very vague in the reference. They made statements such
as "endore hymwith yolkes of Eyroun as an kede" (2), and "endore with
yolkys of Eyroun, & Safoun, & lat bake til it be y-now" (3), or
"endore hit with yolkes of egges and with saffron" (4). "

There is more in the article. :-)

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net