[Sca-cooks] Gooses, stuffing, endoring, ovens

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Mon Apr 8 08:49:23 PDT 2002

At 10:21 AM 4/8/02 -0400, you wrote:
>Please let us know how you do it.  I've tried doing pommes doree a number of
>times, with a notable lack of success so far as the endoring is concerned!
>
>Kiri

Um, what about it wasn't successful? The ones I've done (COI I think- where
you paint half gold and half green) worked just fine. Are you having
problems with the glaze, or making it stick or...?

I made teh recipe a couple of times while I was at UO, and once, after a
Medieval Studies Department 'reading' (lots of fun- various profs read bits
of poetry, etc, in the original, so we could hear it) I was standing around
with my plate of cookies and crudites, trying not to spill my tea. I was
chatting with Jim Earl, a noted Anglo-Saxonist (who is married to my very
favoite professor, was then my advisor, and had just given a delightful and
hilarious rendition of the AS 'Wife's Lament', in falsetto and wearing a
fright wig from his kids' toybox) and I mentioned that I was was working
with period recipes, which he was moderately interested in. Until I
mentioned the green and gold pommes dorry and jokingly said "Hey! We should
give that one to catering, and we could have Duck Balls in out buffet!" I
thought it was terribly funny, but he turned to me and said "Do that and
I'll drum you out of the department."

Actually, knowing UO catering, it made sense...

'Lainie
-I graduated from the program despite little faux pas of that nature ;-)