[Sca-cooks] period asparagus

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 10 08:27:54 PDT 2002

--- Philip & Susan Troy <troy at asan.com> wrote:

> You know, I wonder if this describes an herbal
> infusion, rather than
> "an asparagus dish" per se, and whether it is
> intended to be made
> from the fern-like mature asparagus plant, rather
> than the
> [botanically speaking] underdeveloped asparagus
> "spear".

Don't know. It's in a section following various meats,
entitled, "Here begins Kitchen herbs" which starts
with "Mallows, beets, leeks, are always agreeable,
both in winter and in summer: cabbages in the winter,
for in summer they are melancholic". Then it goes into
lettuces, mustard greens, parsnips,(which also are
said to provoke urine), the asparagus, then parsley
(including coriander, anise, and chives, apparently as
spicings), gourds, cucumbers, melons, and orach,
radish, then the oniony things. Next section is on
beans.

Phlip

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,