[Sca-cooks] period asparagus

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Apr 10 03:49:45 PDT 2002

Also sprach Philippa Alderton:
>Checked- didn't see the one from Anthimus, Stefan. He
>says to boil it in water in which parsley or fennel
>root, and a little coriander has been added, or mint,
>and the water be drunk with wine. Asparagus ought not
>to be cooked too much, unless it be very strong, and
>should be eaten in salt and oil...

You know, I wonder if this describes an herbal infusion, rather than
"an asparagus dish" per se, and whether it is intended to be made
from the fern-like mature asparagus plant, rather than the
[botanically speaking] underdeveloped asparagus "spear".

Anthimus' claim that they ought not to be overcooked is, of course,
supported by Caesar Augustus' frequent country aphorism, "I want it
done quicker than boiling asparagus!" Of course, a lot can happen to
a plant in over 600 years.

Adamantius