[Sca-cooks] artichokes

Barbara Benson vox8 at mindspring.com
Wed Apr 10 12:25:02 PDT 2002

Greetings,

I stumbled across the following on a web search:

TO KEEP HARTICHOCKS ALL THE YEARE first take a gallon of faire water, &
another of the strongest veriuce, & a good handfull of salt, put them
together on the fire & boile them, & scum them cleane, take half an handfull
of fennel, & half a handfull of hyssope cleane washed, & put into the brine,
then throw in the artichocks & scald them, & pluck them out againe, then let
the artichocks & the brine bee throwe cold before you put them up, then put
the bottoms downards & the herbs on the top, & let brine always cover them.
Even so I use the Cowcumbers.

The person who webbed it claims that it is from Eleanor Fettiplace's Receipt
Book.

I do not have a copy of said book & was wondering if anyone could confirm or
deny the above claim.
Has anyone ever tried to produce the above recepit?
I think it looks interesting & am considering making it for a feast.

Glad Tidings,
Serena da Riva