[Sca-cooks] artichokes

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 10 12:43:22 PDT 2002

Hi!

Be very careful with Elinor Fettiplace.  While she
lived during the latter part of SCA period, after she
died, recipes continued to be added to the book, even
as late as the 18th Century.  Unfortunately, the
editor didn't date any of the recipes, so we could
sort out which are period and which aren't.

Huette

--- Barbara Benson <vox8 at mindspring.com> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I stumbled across the following on a web search:
>
> TO KEEP HARTICHOCKS ALL THE YEARE first take a
> gallon of faire water, &
> another of the strongest veriuce, & a good handfull
> of salt, put them
> together on the fire & boile them, & scum them
> cleane, take half an handfull
> of fennel, & half a handfull of hyssope cleane
> washed, & put into the brine,
> then throw in the artichocks & scald them, & pluck
> them out againe, then let
> the artichocks & the brine bee throwe cold before
> you put them up, then put
> the bottoms downards & the herbs on the top, & let
> brine always cover them.
> Even so I use the Cowcumbers.
>
> The person who webbed it claims that it is from
> Eleanor Fettiplace's Receipt
> Book.
>
> I do not have a copy of said book & was wondering if
> anyone could confirm or
> deny the above claim.
> Has anyone ever tried to produce the above recepit?
> I think it looks interesting & am considering making
> it for a feast.
>
> Glad Tidings,
> Serena da Riva

=====