[Sca-cooks] Re: Hollywood gays (was movie night at the rock)

Randy Goldberg MD goldberg at bestweb.net
Thu Apr 11 04:33:30 PDT 2002

> Well, part of the consideration for openly gay actors,
> at least, is that a public awareness of their
> preferences makes it a bit tough for them to play
> romantic leads, at least in the eyes of the
> rather....ummmm....innocent movie-going public, at
> that time. Much of the Hollywood mystique is/was the
> nice guy getting the girl, other than the odd heroic
> cowboy, getting his horse. Women were the prizes for
> the mighty testosterone poisoned hero.....

And what, praytell, has changed, milady? I submit for your consideration
one Rupert Everett, a very talented actor, most attractive... and never
cast in leading roles, relegated to the part of "the gay best friend".
Being out in Hollywood today isn't a whole lot better. Even on Broadway,
where it's been much more accepted and tolerated for a long long time,
openly gay actors rarely get romantic leads... unless you're Nathan Lane
in "The Producers" (Biyalistock's a sexual creature, but hardly a
romantic one).