[Sca-cooks] Re: Hollywood gays (was movie night at the rock)

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 11 08:05:34 PDT 2002

--- Randy Goldberg MD <goldberg at bestweb.net> wrote:
> > Well, part of the consideration for openly gay
> actors,
> > at least, is that a public awareness of their
> > preferences makes it a bit tough for them to play
> > romantic leads, at least in the eyes of the
> > rather....ummmm....innocent movie-going public, at
> > that time. Much of the Hollywood mystique is/was
> the
> > nice guy getting the girl, other than the odd
> heroic
> > cowboy, getting his horse. Women were the prizes
> for
> > the mighty testosterone poisoned hero.....
>
> And what, praytell, has changed, milady? I submit
> for your consideration
> one Rupert Everett, a very talented actor, most
> attractive... and never
> cast in leading roles, relegated to the part of "the
> gay best friend".
> Being out in Hollywood today isn't a whole lot
> better. Even on Broadway,
> where it's been much more accepted and tolerated for
> a long long time,
> openly gay actors rarely get romantic leads...
> unless you're Nathan Lane
> in "The Producers" (Biyalistock's a sexual creature,
> but hardly a
> romantic one).

Well, as far as romantic leads, nothing's really
changed, but at least gays are allowed to be best
friends, and are not automaticly evil incompetent baby
rapers.

You know, I think I'd really enjoy seeing gay love
treated as a sensitive romantic subject occasionally,
instead of campy stuff like "Boys in the Band" or the
setting for another AIDs tragedy. One universal in the
human race is the need for love and romance, and I
can't really see that it makes much difference whether
it's two men, two women, or a man and a woman. I'm
also willing to bet that bi-racial gays have some of
the same difficulties that biracial heteros have.....

Phlip, hoping the world grows up before she dies......

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,