[Sca-cooks] Re: Hollywood gays (was movie night at the rock)

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 11 08:28:25 PDT 2002

Avraham wrote:
>And what, praytell, has changed, milady? I submit for your consideration
>one Rupert Everett, a very talented actor, most attractive... and never
>cast in leading roles, relegated to the part of "the gay best friend".
>Being out in Hollywood today isn't a whole lot better.

Maybe England is different from Hollywood. Rupert Everett played the
(heterosexual) romantic lead in "An Ideal Husband" after he came out.

And maybe Italy is different from Hollywood. He was also the
(heterosexual) husband of Miranda Richardson in the supposedly torrid
"The Comfort of Strangers", which i thought was not a very good film,
but not Rupert's fault. Lots of shots of him in few clothes. Nice
body! However, it may have been filmed before he came out publicly -
it was released in 1990.

I have no idea how much is Hollywood's stereotyping of actors (which
they do to heterosexuals as well), and how much is Everett's choice
to play gay characters since he came out publicly.

Anahita