[Sca-cooks] Re: Hollywood gays (was movie night at the rock)

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Wed Apr 10 19:09:58 PDT 2002

> Also sprach Randy Goldberg MD:
> >  > I assumed the theme would have had them revoking your card if you
> >>  didn't watch it the first day you had it. McKellan plays the great
> >>  director James Whale, who tried to live openly as a homosexual in a
> >>  fairly intolerant Hollywood, right around the time Somerset Maugham
> >>  was having the same problem as a writer in England, and ultimately,
> >>  effectively exiled. In Whale's case, it appears to have contributed
> >>  to his death, one way or another.
> >
> >About the same time as Billy Haines, too, wasn't it? He managed to live
> >openly, but had to give up acting to do it.
>
> Maybe just a tad earlier. 1936 or 37, give or take. It's amazing when
> you consider the number of prominent and successful gays and
> bisexuals who simply remained under cover, but otherwise behaved in
> ways that would have been considered far more scandalous than
> anything Whale ever did.
>
> Adamantius

Well, if you admit you're gay, it's immoral and evil and against G*d and
all that sort of thing. If you don't admit it openly, then you're just
excitingly daring, or something like that. Being suspected of something is
just so much more romantic than coming out (as it were) and saying it loud
and clear.

[OB food content: in the next couple of weeks I will have a baking counter
so I can bake again! Wheee! I can have my birthday cake! Yippeee!]

Margaret