[Sca-cooks] Sambal Ulek

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 11 11:32:10 PDT 2002

>I wrote:
>>sambal ulek
>
>and Olwen the Odd asked:
>>Oh sweet Anahita, what, pray tell, is this??  Where does one get it?
>
>then an answer was posted to the list:
>>This a rather salty, bright red chili paste from Indonesia.
>>
>>Adamantius, who prefers either sriracha or brown bean paste with
>>chili, but doesn't say no to sambal oelek
>
>Hunh? (again) Sambal ulek shouldn't be salty. It must be an
>aberration of the brand you get...
>
>Sambal ulek (Dutch spelling: sambal oelek) is a Javanese condiment.
>Traditionally, fresh red chilis are ground to a paste - seeds and all
>- on a flat volcanic rock kitchen tool, the name of which is escaping
>me. It looks rather like a Mexican metate, which is also made of
>volcanic rock and shaped into a flat rectangle. The seeds should no
>longer be visible, but rather completely ground and fully
>incorporated in with the flesh of the chili. Yes, a lot of hand work.
>
>Brands commercially available in the US don't have the seeds ground,
>but just floating in the mass of chili flesh puree, which is also not
>as finely pureed as the hand made product.
>
>I have found sambal ulek in East Asian and Southeast Asian food
>markets. Conimex is a Dutch brand with a bright deep yellow label
>that i recommend you NOT buy.
>
>Sriracha is a Thai red chili paste in a squeeze bottle, which i find
>to be too sweet, but i use it, too.  There's also a Vietnamese chili
>paste that includes lots of garlic. I like that one a lot :-) Depends
>on what's available and how much effort i want to put into the hunt.
>Both Sriracha and the Vietnamese garlic chili paste are available in
>my local huge chain supermarket.
>
>Anahita
>You know what they say, "sweets to the sweet..."
>I say, "pass me the chili..."

Ah.  After reading Adamatius' description I was just going to let it pass as
I am not a salt person.  After reading your descriptions I believe I shall
endevor to locate the Vietnamese type.  I am definately a garlic person.
And we have been looking at ribs.  Found them for $1.39lb by the case (too
many) and $1.89lb for about 12 pounds.  Hmm.  Wonder who's coming to dinner?
Olwen