[Sca-cooks] Re: Hollywood gays (was movie night at therock)

A F Murphy afmmurphy at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 11 11:39:30 PDT 2002

It is the "default assumption" problem. If nothing is specified about a
character, most casting agents and directors "see" a white, able-bodied,
straight, male. (Yes, we're still having trouble getting *Women* in many
incidental roles! And we're a *majority*! ) Now there are exceptions...
and they speak volumes. Nurses and clerical workers and teachers are
women. Drug dealers and prostitutes are most commonly Hispanic these
days, or else Black. Doctors might be Asian, but aren't of other
minorities unless specified. They might, finally, be women, but  if so,
they are still mostly pediatricians or ob/gyns...

Some people with some control are finally accepting that this is a
problem... *sigh*. So there are starting to be a few exceptions, but not
many... there are so many layers... you have to convince the agent to
submit, the casting agent to cast, the director to accept, and, for that
matter, the actor to go out for a role that experience has taught
him/her that s/he won't get... which can feel like a waste of time!

Anne