What's wrong with disabled villains, Seriously OT and OOP (was Re: [Sca-cooks] Re: Hollywood gays)

Gorgeous Muiredach muiredach at bmee.net
Thu Apr 11 22:03:15 PDT 2002

>What's wrong with disabled villains anyway?  Villains get the best lines
>and most powerful
>imagery.

Nothing in and off itself.  But!  When over 90% of the folks with
disabilities you see on TV or in the movies are villains, it shapes the
mind of movie-goers.  It is subtle, and while I don't think it's a plot,
the effect is real.  One of the many reasons a lot of people are
uncomfortable 'round folks with disabilities.  Not talking only about
physical disabilities, but mental illnesses as well.

It is uncanny how often the "loonies" end up being villains, and then,
people get afraid of all the "schizo's" out there.

>Pro-disabled discourse:  My favorite under-reported sport since college
>has been wheelchair basketball.

Selene, one of my staff is on the US Olympic wc basketball team :-)

Gorgeous Muiredach
Rokkehealden Shire
Middle Kingdom
aka