[Sca-cooks] Re: Hollywood gays (was movie night at therock)

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 11 21:39:22 PDT 2002

> Muiredach writes;
>
> > Selene, you got that wrong.  I was saying that there are too often
> > characterization of gay/disabled/green as villains.
>
> I'm confused. Whats the green part?
>
> Misha
> Who turns green when he sees moldy bread (Food content!!)

I was throwing out random minority groups, gay, disabled, green with
purple polka dots... my point was, all minorities are getting into the
act these days.  Disabled, etc. people have the equal rights to be
saints or sinners.  There was a time when every time a minority was
portrayed in a less than lovely light, they got lots of complaining
cards and letters.  Now the pendulum has swung the other way, and nobody
likes that either.  Sigh.  Go please the world.  What's wrong with
disabled villains anyway?  Villains get the best lines and most powerful
imagery.  Even the legless, diminutive, or otherwise apparently-impaired
person can be Powerful, and power is not always used wisely.

Pro-disabled discourse:  My favorite under-reported sport since college
has been wheelchair basketball.  Swift action by young men with arms and
shoulders like young gods.  What's not to like?

Selene, Caid