[Sca-cooks] Medieval foods for a buffet

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Apr 11 23:10:23 PDT 2002

Helewyse mentioned a previous birthday party and mentioned one
food she had served:
> profiteroles

And these are? And the recipe is?

> This year I want to sneak in some "medieval" items.  So far I am
> planning on making Mushroom pasties from Menagier de Paris, Torta Bianca
> (sorry can't remember the source of the top of my head).
> Now to the question: What other suggestions do the cooks on this list
> have for foods that are perfectly medieval, yet perfectly at home on an
> eclectic buffet table?

Savory Tosted Cheese. I have served this at several mundane parties
and pot lucks and it has always gone over good:
cheese-goo-msg    (26K) 12/ 5/01    Digby's Savory Tosted cheese. melted cheese.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/cheese-goo-msg.html

If you have a pizzele iron, wafer might go over well, especially
when coupled with some "snow":
wafers-msg        (72K)  3/30/01    Period savory and sweet wafers. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/wafers-msg.html
   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net