[Sca-cooks] Old in the SCA, was Hollywood gays

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 12 09:59:26 PDT 2002

> Sieggy wrote:
> >     Or perhaps the story of the first two Edwards as told from the
> >perspective of Piers Gaveston? Though it would have a tragic ending by
> >definition . . . For an exceptionally interesting treatment of the subject,
> >if only tangentially, I suggest "Flambard's Confession" by Marilyn Durham.
> >She was a serious medieval scholar who tried to get into the SCA on my
> >recommendation, only to be chased out because she was too old . . .

Where in the Known World was this?  I'm appalled that anyone would be so
inhospitable or just plain RUDE.  Was it because of her age, or that a serious
medieval scholar might possibly challenge some of the local SCA's assumptions
about medieval life?

BTW,   My late patroness participated in SCA practically to the day she died at
age 78.  Most of the people who came to clean up the house and comfort the
family were not people from work or church, but her SCA household and friends.
May we all be granted such lovingkindness from our children, SCA and otherwise,
in our final days!

Meanwhile, back at your recommendation... where can I obtain "Flambard's
Confession" to read?

Selene, Caid