[Sca-cooks] Edward and Piers, was: Hollywood gays

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Fri Apr 12 23:43:06 PDT 2002

Lainie said:
> >    Or perhaps the story of the first two Edwards as told from the
> >perspective of Piers Gaveston? Though it would have a tragic ending by
> >definition . . .
>
> Could be interesting. I've done some work on Edward's Queen, Isabella (stop
> it! I meant the official queen!) If Edward had put half an ounce into
> treating Isabella (Daughter of teh King of France and not someone to be
> trifled with!) decently, things might have been different. But he publicly
> snubbed her to favor Piers, he gave *her* jewelery to Piers (including the
> famed Charlemagne rubies!), and during what was likely a coup attempt, he
> abandoned her, eight months pregnant with the future Edward III, and fled
> to safety with Piers. I think I'd have been a bit hacked off.

If anyone is interested in some more overview type information on
Isabella and the various goings on in that court, you might want to
read this short article in the Florilegium:
Isabella-art      (11K)  2/18/98    "Isabella, the She-Wolf of France"
                                       by Jan van Seist.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PEOPLE/Isabella-art.html

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net