[Sca-cooks] More from Paul....

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Apr 13 00:00:48 PDT 2002

Phlip answered me with:
> <Mark.s.Harris at motorola.com> wrote:
> > Phlip replied to Drakeyboy with:
> > Since you got such a nice compliment, I thought I'd
> > share it with the List ;-) I did tell him you
> > probably
> > used real mastajhi, since it's a fairly common
> > ingredient in Medieval cookery.
> > ------
> >
> > Huh? It is? What is it?
> >
> > Perhaps there is a more common name for it that is
> > normally used?
>
> I knew you'd ask ;-)

So, should I stop asking these questions? This is the second time in
the last few days you made that comment. I also got an email today
from a list member asking whether I ever looked anything up before
asking?

The answer is usually not. I don't have access to any real referance
material at work, other than the web. And a lot of the questions I
ask are ones I thought would be quick to answer questions. In other
cases, I sometimes think that some folks are hesitant to look silly
by asking the question they want to, so they don't. So, I figure I'll
go ahead and ask the question, and take the chance of looking silly.
But the question gets asked. Sometimes even if I already think I
know the answer I will ask. Again, it gets asked and sometimes the
answer is not as simple as I thought it was.

I have thought that I'd like to get into doing more research, but
I'm afraid after this list and the Florilegium, my time is rather
limited.

> Mastic.

I still don't think that this is "a fairly common ingredient in
Medieval Cooking". What kind of dishes does it tend to get used
in?

I think I'd class a fairly common ingredient in Medieval Cooking
as something like pepper or cinnamon or saffron.

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net