[Sca-cooks] Question on apples.

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Apr 13 23:40:00 PDT 2002

Misha asked:
> I'm doing an apple recipe for my cooking demo. Im going to take apples and
> cover them with honey and raisins (i'm thinking raisin's are period). But I
> had a question on apples. Since our apples in America are nothing like period
> apples, what would be the closest thing I could get? Would Granny Smith work?

I'm not sure about Granny Smith being anywhere close to a period apple.
However, there are a number of types of apples discussed in these files
and at least one gives a listing of when they were first known:
fruits-msg       (103K)  7/30/01    Medieval fruits and fruit dishes. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-FRUITS/fruits-msg.html
fruit-apples-msg  (61K)  1/19/01    Period apples and apple recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-FRUITS/fruit-apples-msg.html

I thought there has been at least one medieval recipe for baked
apples given here. You might also look in the fruit-pies-msg file.

(Hey, this is an answer, not a question....)
   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net