[Sca-cooks] Question on apples.

Avraham haRofeh goldberg at bestweb.net
Sun Apr 14 07:20:00 PDT 2002

> Misha asked:
> > I'm doing an apple recipe for my cooking demo. Im going to take
apples and
> > cover them with honey and raisins (i'm thinking raisin's are
period). But I
> > had a question on apples. Since our apples in America are nothing
like period
> > apples, what would be the closest thing I could get? Would Granny
Smith work?

> I'm not sure about Granny Smith being anywhere close to a period
apple.

Granny Smith is most definitely NOT a period apple. From the Food
Reference Website (www.foodreference.com):

GRANNY SMITH APPLE
An all-purpose apple with green skin, firm, crisp flesh, and a tart
flavor. Named after Maria Ann Smith (died 1870), an Australian gardener
who developed it

Which means it had to be developed sometime in her lifetime - say,
between 1800 and 1870, and toward the end of that range, but certainly
no earlier... which makes is WELL post-period. :-)

Avraham