[Sca-cooks] Re: Mastic was More from Paul....

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Apr 14 00:29:31 PDT 2002

Johnna Holloway said, among other descriptions of "mastic":
> Cindy Renfrow's Online Glossary at:
> http://www.thousandeggs.com/glossary.html#M
> gives the entry as follows:
> mastic (French) = Mastic thyme (Thymus mastichina)
> (Scully and Brereton et al. suggest the resin 'mastic'
> (Pistachia lentiscus), and Scully suggests a mis-writing
>  of macis meaning 'mace'.) (Viandier)

Thank you! This may be the cause of the differance in opinion
between Phlip and myself.

For mastic, I was thinking of this resin.

Phlip may have been thinking of it as mace.

When I was listing the spices I did think of as common, I almost
listed "nutmeg" but using in a generic way to mean both the nutmeg
and the mace parts.

I would consider mace to be a more common spice, even if not as
common as the pepper and others I mentioned. I still don't think
the resin should be considered a common spice.

Phlip?

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net