[Sca-cooks] Re: Mastic was More from Paul....

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 14 00:43:40 PDT 2002

--- Stefan li Rous <stefan at texas.net> wrote:

> Thank you! This may be the cause of the differance
> in opinion
> between Phlip and myself.
>
> For mastic, I was thinking of this resin.
>
> Phlip may have been thinking of it as mace.
>
> When I was listing the spices I did think of as
> common, I almost
> listed "nutmeg" but using in a generic way to mean
> both the nutmeg
> and the mace parts.
>
> I would consider mace to be a more common spice,
> even if not as
> common as the pepper and others I mentioned. I still
> don't think
> the resin should be considered a common spice.
>
> Phlip?

No- I was thinking of it as the resin- I've seen it
mentioned repeatedly in various recipes, both on this
List and in some of the cookbooks I have. Just need to
sit down and go through some of my stuff, but today I
was a bit busy- I posted the List right before I left
to spend the day with the Connecticut Blacksmith's
Guild (great series of slides, and a demo, on artistic
smithing and mid-19th wrought iron reproductions ;-)
and I was too tired when I got home. (We were also
helping the demonstrators move in to their new shop,
and there was a lot of cleaning and hauling to do.)

But, once I can afford to get all the spices I
need/want for my redactions, mastic will most
definitely be one of them, because I think of it as a
common _Medieval_ ingredient, just as I would consider
lemon grass as a common _Thai_ ingredient. In the mean
time, I've been limiting myself to redactions with
ingredients I have on hand.

Phlip

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,