[Sca-cooks] Food for Fifty

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Sun Apr 14 14:21:45 PDT 2002

> Actually the older editions are still very useful if your goal is to
> understand how to put together an industrial size batch of food, although I
> would recommend editions from the 50's and 60's s about the earliest to use.
> I gather the newer editions take advantage of better nutrional knowledge and
> kitchen technology.

Hm.. I gave up on newer editions of ANYTHING if they take advantage of
newer kitchen technology-- after I went looking in my, circa 1980 copy of
the Fanny Farmer cookbook for beef roast instructions (which were
DEFINITELY in my mom's 1960 edition)  and found that instructions for
roasts were no longer included (presumably to make room for all the
microwave instructions and low-fat recipes.

Before you buy a modern standard cookbook, always look to see if they
include recipes for standard real foods.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa