[Sca-cooks] Food for Fifty

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Apr 14 15:36:46 PDT 2002

Also sprach jenne at fiedlerfamily.net:
>  > Actually the older editions are still very useful if your goal is to
>>  understand how to put together an industrial size batch of food, although I
>>  would recommend editions from the 50's and 60's s about the earliest to use.
>>  I gather the newer editions take advantage of better nutrional knowledge and
>>  kitchen technology.
>
>Hm.. I gave up on newer editions of ANYTHING if they take advantage of
>newer kitchen technology-- after I went looking in my, circa 1980 copy of
>the Fanny Farmer cookbook for beef roast instructions (which were
>DEFINITELY in my mom's 1960 edition)  and found that instructions for
>roasts were no longer included (presumably to make room for all the
>microwave instructions and low-fat recipes.
>
>Before you buy a modern standard cookbook, always look to see if they
>include recipes for standard real foods.

In general, this is eminently true. However, as people have
mentioned, this particular book is more of a logistical tool. Not too
many of the recipes really represent the highest-quality food. It's
pretty much industrial food-service stuff. Mostly it's useful as a
guide for writing your own bulk food preparation recipes. In other
words, you want their beef stew recipe not because it's good (almost
anyone else's, in my experience, is better), but it'll help you
figure out quantities for your own bulk recipe for beef ystwd, etc.

Adamantius