[Sca-cooks] More Chinese Cooking Stuff

Craig Jones. craig.jones at airservices.gov.au
Mon Apr 15 15:58:55 PDT 2002

>--- "Craig Jones." <craig.jones at airservices.gov.au>
>wrote:
>
>> Sydney Cockles - Anadara trapezia
>> http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb/2587.html
>
>Look rather similar to scallops. Anybody out there had
>and/or used both, can maybe tell me cooking and flavor
>comparisons?

Nope.  Nothing like scallops.  You can usually only fit 1 scallop
shell in your hand, cockle shells are much smaller.  10-12cm as
opposed to 2-4cm for cockles...

Scallops have an infinately nicer flavour, but I wouldn't dare play
with them in a Kitchen with Kiriel as they violently disagree with
her.

>> Pipies - Plebidonax deltoides
>> http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb/2590.html
>
>Rather similar to clams, by appearance. Are these
>sinle or double shelled?

Double Shells.  When folded out, look like butterflies.  The inner
shell are concentric layers of sky blue while the outside are a
sandy-orange colour.

>Not a clue- I'll ask Paul when he gets back. What are
>razor shells? Razor clams, maybe?

I was thinking Razor Shells (Solenacea) but I dont think they are
native to the South China Sea.  As opposed to Razor Clams
(Cultellidae).

Of course, I'm speaking outta my butt because there are probably
Arcidae (Ark Clams),  I'm just not sure how edible they are...

>> Yep.  Health Tip:  Don't do the Tangut Lungs recipe
>> in Soup as I'm
>> still mentally scarred from the first attempt at the
>> dish.  "hunks of
>> Liver Flavoured Marshmallow floating in a bitter
>> green clag" was my
>> description, the next nicest comments from the group
>> was "Vile".
>
>Might hafta look at that. Suspect it could be made
>edible.

Good luck...

Never thought I'd like real haggis, either,
>until I butchered the sheep, and got a friend to make
>it. I prefer muscle meats, but I've discovered all
>sorts of innards are quite edible, when made right.

Again, good luck...

What would you use for "Leek Juice"?  Shudder...

Drake.