Ginestada (was Re: [Sca-cooks] Cooking for the press)

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 15 19:03:46 PDT 2002

On 15 Apr 2002, at 22:31, Barbara Benson wrote:

> I have no insight for you as to press cooking, but I have been trying
> to prepare Ginestada with mixed results. Could I prehaps convince you
> to post your redaction????
>
> Pretty please,
> Serena da Riva

It's in Florilegium.  Here's a copy:

Ginestada (Rice Pudding with Dates and Nuts)
1/2 gallon milk (goat or cow)
12 ounces rice flour
1 cup sugar
1 cup dried dates, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup blanched hazelnuts (filberts)
1/2 cup pine nuts
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ginger
saffron (optional)

Place the milk in a large pot. Add the rice flour and stir with a whisk until
thoroughly dissolved. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Place the
pot over medium heat and cook, stirring constantly. The rice flour will
begin to thicken as it cooks. When it begins to boil, remove from heat.
Allow to stand a few minutes before serving. The ginestada may also be
refrigerated and served cold.
You may also sprinkle on some ground cinnamon before serving.

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net