[Sca-cooks] Re: embroidered table linens

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Tue Apr 16 09:43:42 PDT 2002

Peter Brears in All the King's Cooks
mentions on page 164 in the chapter on
"Serving the King" that:
"George Villiers, sergeant of the ewery,
or his yeoman ewerer for the King's mouth,
would now lay a tablecloth of white linen
worked in damask with flowers, knots, crowns
or fleur-de-lis.(fn5 which cites the HO which
is the Household Ordinances) He does not mention
that the tableclothes used for dining in the
chamber and great hall where most dined were
worked in this fashion. This would apply for at
least Tudor England under Henry VIII.

Johnna Holloway  Johnnae llyn Lewis

Huette von Ahrens asked: