[Sca-cooks] embroidered table linens

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 16 10:32:58 PDT 2002

Philippa Alderton wrote:

> --- deborah minyard <dminmin at hotmail.com> wrote:
> > I've got a picture with a woven tablecloth.  It's
> > used in a book on
> > renaissance costuming to show a particular fabric.
> > It looks like little
> > dragon's and I bet if you used it somebody would
> > tell you it wa too fantasy
> > Maddalena

Can you at least tell us what book it is in, and from whence the picture
came?

> All the more reason to use it. I love sticking things
> in the ears of the ignorant, self-righteous, Period
> Police.

Correcting the errors of the ruder sorts of "period police" is a guilty
pleasure of mine. Like how the Rapier fighters made their point.
Medieval stuffy purists in high places told them that fencing was not
pre-1600;  they said is was, and found historical documentation and even
instruction manuals to back themselves up.  HA!  These goobers asked for
it, didn't they?

I try a gentler version of the attitude when someone comes to me at
Herald's Point with a name they are sure is period and I'm not.  I try
not to be mean, I just ask them for book-evidence to back up their
assertion.  "Make the bastards LEARN something!"  Bwah-ha!

Selene, Caid