[Sca-cooks] RE: Chinese Redactions as promised :)

Craig Jones. craig.jones at airservices.gov.au
Tue Apr 16 15:51:24 PDT 2002

>Where would you get rice wine lees?

Ah, that's my advantage.  I'm known in Lochac as a brewer rather than
as a cook, so making rice wine for me is not a big deal.

While picking up foxnuts and wolfthorn berries last weekend, I found
some white balls labelled Wine East.  I'm betting that this is Koji,
aspergillius oryzae infected rice balls.  You add them to cooked sake
rice and they convert the starch in the rice to sugars.  You then
ferment the resulting sweet, ricey goo to make rice wine.  I do have
to do a little more research before actually doing it though...

Drake.