[Sca-cooks] embroidered table linens

Rosine rosine at sybercom.net
Wed Apr 17 04:12:07 PDT 2002

> Afriend with awards for embroidery recommended finding
> a copy of A Pictorial History of Embroidery, it's Out of print
> but you might find a Library copy.
> According to her if they did embroidery on it it'll be in there.
> Maddalena

   Yes and no - it's pictures of artifacts, so only those things treasured
through the ages lasted... lots and lots of ceremonial and liturgical
embroideries (they are *beautiful*) and garments. The closest thing to a
tablecloth that I found was altar cloths.
   As far as I know, we're stuck with perugian cloths, which are
pattern-woven. There are designs that my weaver friends say are _probably_
embroidered, and I could send you the links leading to the painting or
manuscripts that they are featured in, if you wish. Other than that, what we
have is written records - like the ones that say that the long-legged cross
stitch used in Spain to create copies of Moorish rugs (I've forgotten the
actual name of the technique - Arrigo, or somesuch) are written about in
period, but no actual rugs from our study period have shown up and the
changing political scene in the area during the end of the 16th century
indicates that pattern designs probably would have shifted also - so the
extant 17th century items are suspect as guides.
   There are a few samplers from the period with designs that *we* would
only use on hangings and tablecloths, but again, we'd be guessing about what
would be used by the folks living "in period".
   The best advice I can offer is find a couple of paintings of dining
scenes from the period that you want to typify (or consult the CA mentioned
before) and use standard embroidery techniques to recreate the pattern you
see on the cloth... and know that it's more than likely actually woven in -
but hey, if you were unable to afford such a beautiful import, wouldn't you
be tempted to sew a copy of it yourself?

   I know that all I'm giving you is wet-blanket. I'm sorry. I was hoping
someone more knowledgeable would post something that I didn't know about...

Rosine