[Sca-cooks] pastry

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Wed Apr 17 16:32:48 PDT 2002

I think the adaptation of Cruste Rolls is in the Florilegium.  The dough
would probably be suitable for this purpose.  As I remember it, it was two
eggs, a cup to a cup and a half of flour, a little salt to improve the
flavor, and enough water to make it pliable. It makes a dough that fries or
blind bakes crisp, but it doesn't hold up to thin liquids very well.

Most of the time, the early cookbooks say, "make a paste," but you don't
find many recipes until the 15th and 16th Centuries.  Later recipes seem to
add more fat than earlier ones.

Bear