[Sca-cooks] Books

Barbara Benson vox8 at mindspring.com
Fri Apr 19 06:27:06 PDT 2002

Greetings,

I am not certain what items interest you, but I am reading a fascinating
book right now that has more information per page than most books have in
their entirety. It is a difficult read (like a textbook) but if you are
interested in Venice then it is wonderful.
Venice: The Lion City, Garry Wills, 0-684-87190-4, Simon & Schuster (c)2001.
also in the pile, but again, highly specialzed as far as subjects go:
The History of Decorative Arts: The Renaissance and Mannerism in Europe,
Alain Gruber, Abbeville Press 1-55859-821-9.
Carpaccio, Vittorio Sgarbi, Abbeville Press 0-7892-0000-7. (in case you do
not know Carpaccio one of the if not the most famous Venitian painter
durning the end of the 15th and begining of the 16th century. This book has
absolutely spectacular color plates with details that will make your jaw
drop.

I was able to find all three on Amazon, but be aware that the bottom two are
quite pricy books, the cheapest I saw them online being $75 and $50
respectively. I found them locally for $45 and $25, but then I am the master
shopper!!!

Glad Tidings,
Serena da Riva