[Sca-cooks] oop - help with cinco de mayo recipes

Ann Sasahara ariann at nmia.com
Fri Apr 19 07:05:37 PDT 2002

On Thu, 18 Apr 2002, Susan Fox-Davis wrote:
> As it happens, a household sister of mine, who used to live in a Mexican
> neighborhood and who got weary of the all-night 5 de Mayo parties, used to
> throw a Cinq de Mai party with French food, hanging a French tricolor out
> front.  Fortunately, the neighbors didn't get it.  English-speaking Americans
> are not the only Americans who don't remember history, evidently.  :-/
> Selene, Caid

When my son was in Kindergarten, I was living in Albuquerque, NM.  As a
Japanese-American family we celebrate Boy's Day - the fifth day of the
fifth month.  When his teacher asked the class what special day it was, my
son said Boy's Day.  The teacher told him there was no such thing and
proceeded to have a Cinco de Mayo theme day.  When I came to pick him up
that afternoon, my son was crying, saying all the kids were calling him a
pendejo (sp?).  I talked to the teacher, Mrs Pen~a-Montoya, and told her
there was a Boy's Day -- and a Girl's Day too.  She was unmoved and
insisted in NM it's traditional and important to celebrate Cinco de Mayo.
If we were going to live here (North Valley barrio) we had better get used
to it.

When we got a better apartment, my son's school was located near the Univ
of NM, where there is a greater mix of children in his class.  Something
like this never happened again, thank goodness.  History is nice, but
sometimes people are oblivious to anything else that happens on that
day.

Ariann, who will buy mochi (food content) rather than make it for Boy's
Day