[Sca-cooks] olives/olive oil question

Harris Mark.S-rsve60 Mark.s.Harris at motorola.com
Fri Apr 19 09:29:32 PDT 2002

Selene of Caid said:
I find only one reference online to using pits in the process of making olive
oil, and that's at one very early style manucactury that crushes the whole
olive pit and all, where they say the pit has a preservative effect.
========

Interesting. Does this mean you are finding other referances to
using just the olive flesh to make olive oil? Or that the only
referance you are finding at all, crushes the whole olive, pit and
flesh?

The claim about crushing the pit with the flesh having a preservative
effect is interesting.  Peach pits contain a bit of arsenic, right?
If so, I would imagine that crushing them with the peach flesh would
have somewhat of a preservative effect. :-) So, just what causes
the preservative effect in the olive oil if you crush the pit to
make it? ...And do I really want to eat the result???

Thanks for the replies folks. Obviously this is yet another of
those simple questions (well, I thought it was) that isn't.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net