[Sca-cooks] oop - help with cinco de mayo recipes

Harris Mark.S-rsve60 Mark.s.Harris at motorola.com
Fri Apr 19 14:04:38 PDT 2002

Ariann said:
-------
I talked to the teacher, Mrs Pen~a-Montoya, and told her
there was a Boy's Day -- and a Girl's Day too.  She was unmoved and
insisted in NM it's traditional and important to celebrate Cinco de Mayo.
If we were going to live here (North Valley barrio) we had better get used
to it.
-------

I'm sorry to hear this happened. I would have initially chalked
this up to simple ignorance. However, the teacher's comments
indicate otherwise. While some teachers are afraid to admit they
don't know something or that they have behaved badly, I think
this is more likely a bit of racial prejudice. Unfortunately,
I've seen way too much of this, where a minority representative
is so set on promoting their minority that they are blind to
the fact that they are doing the same thing to others which
they are so loudly protesting about.

------
Ariann, who will buy mochi (food content) rather than make it for Boy's
Day
------

So, when is Girl's day? This is the first I've heard of these
days. Is this both a Japanese and a Japanese-American tradition?

And what is "mochi"?

Stefan