[Sca-cooks] oop - help with cinco de mayo recipes

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Apr 19 07:32:04 PDT 2002

Also sprach Ann Sasahara:
>When my son was in Kindergarten, I was living in Albuquerque, NM.  As a
>Japanese-American family we celebrate Boy's Day - the fifth day of the
>fifth month.  When his teacher asked the class what special day it was, my
>son said Boy's Day.  The teacher told him there was no such thing and
>proceeded to have a Cinco de Mayo theme day.  When I came to pick him up
>that afternoon, my son was crying, saying all the kids were calling him a
>pendejo (sp?).  I talked to the teacher, Mrs Pen~a-Montoya, and told her
>there was a Boy's Day -- and a Girl's Day too.  She was unmoved and
>insisted in NM it's traditional and important to celebrate Cinco de Mayo.
>If we were going to live here (North Valley barrio) we had better get used
>to it.

My son was teased occasionally for the comparatively few nods to his
Chinese heritage that his everyday life makes. This would include the
celebration of the Lunar New Year, which he'd be teased about
occasionally (while New York has a huge Chinese and Chinese-American
population, it can be somewhat insular and the residents of the Upper
East Side of Manhattan even more so), until his classmates found out
that it gets him not only an extra day or two off from school, but
also food treats _and_ envelopes of cash! Suddenly they all thought
this was a great idea! Ironically, the other thing that has decreased
the amount of teasing has been his involvement with the Eastern
Region of the American Aikido Federation, which is interesting in
that aikido is a) more or less purely defensive and pacifistic, and
b) Japanese in origin. ;-)

>When we got a better apartment, my son's school was located near the Univ
>of NM, where there is a greater mix of children in his class.  Something
>like this never happened again, thank goodness.  History is nice, but
>sometimes people are oblivious to anything else that happens on that
>day.

I've had occasion to wonder if my kingdom's current Crown is aware
that their Coronation was on the 682nd anniversary of the Declaration
of Arbroath...

Adamantius