[Sca-cooks] celtic food

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Apr 19 13:56:07 PDT 2002

Do try and take a look at C. Anne Wilson's
 Food and Drink in Britain and Brid Mahon's Land of Milk
and Honey which looks at traditional Irish foods but has
historical material and references. The "Celtic"
histories sometimes cover foods and sometimes don't.
You could browse a number of those and see what you find.
A general read is Geoffrey Moorhouse's Sun Dancing
A Vision of Medieval Ireland. Joanne Asala's
Celtic Folkore Recipes is more lore than history
but it contains a lot of recipes. It's also very
aggravating to use as it gives things as
"To dress sorrel with eggs" and doesn't name the title
of the book or the source except to say
"from a sixteenth-century Anglo-Irish Cookbook".
 What source? What title?

Johnna Holloway  Johnnae llyn Lewis

Generys ferch Ednuyed wrote: SNIPPED
> the event is "Celtic",  though leaning towards Irish,
 it's named Cattle Raids so I figure two kinds of beef,
plus a couple other meats (probably a fish of some sort,
> and a poultry of some sort - plus vegetarian stuff/
side dishes - .I just wanted